WHAT IS THE TRAILBLAZE CHALLENGE SAN DIEGO:
Presented by Wheelhouse Credit Union, the Trailblaze Challenge San Diego (TBCSD) is more than a hike. It is more than a fundraiser. The Trailblaze Challenge is a life-changing endurance experience that challenges participants physically and emotionally, while helping Make-A-Wish San Diego grant wishes to the 300 children with critical illnesses in our region.
28 miles along the Pacific Crest Trail in one day - This scenic trek provides participants an opportunity for adventure, fun and fitness while making a direct impact on the lives of children in our community who are battling critical illnesses. This is a hike, not a race, and caters to all levels from novice to advanced outdoor enthusiasts. 2020 Hike Weekends: May 15 – 17 (Hike Day Saturday, May 16) and May 29 – 31 (Hike Day Saturday, May 30)
For 14 weeks, you will train alongside Make-A-Wish staff and certified hike leaders to prepare you for your journey in both hiking and fundraising. You'll receive a personal training schedule, have the opportunity to participate in weekly training hikes and receive instruction on footwear and hiking gear from seasoned professionals. Make-A-Wish will make sure that you have every tool available to make you successful both on and off the trail.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE HIKE EXPERIENCE:
- Specialized training program including a workout calendar and weekly group hikes
- Training Clinics - topics include hiking boots, socks and other trail essentials, hydration, nutrition, and cross training (when available)
- Support and coaching from experienced Hike Leaders and Make-A-Wish staff
- Hotel Accommodations on hike weekend in Big Bear, CA
- Trailblaze Challenge t-shirt for hike weekend
- Friday night pasta party to carb load before the big day
- Transportation to and from the trail on Hike Day
- Trail support at multiple locations throughout your journey, including hydration, snacks, first aid, and encouragement!
- Saturday evening post-hike celebration to share trail stories
- Sunday post-hike recognition breakfast before heading home
It's not a race. It's a journey. In this program, there are no winners or losers. Our goal is to bring people together to build community around families who are faced with the harsh realities of critical illnesses. When you take your first step on your journey as a Trailblazer, you are paving the way for a brighter tomorrow for children right here in your community.
EVERYONE'S HIKE ("Hike your own hike"):
Whether you are an outdoor enthusiast or a Make-A-Wish supporter, this hike is open to participants of all levels. This is a hike, not a race, and caters to all levels from novice to advanced outdoor enthusiasts. All hikers must be 18 years of age or older.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
To begin your journey, you'll need to attend an information meeting. These meetings are designed to inform you about the mission of Make-A-Wish and describe in-detail the weekend-long hike event. To find a session near you, visit www.trailblazechallengesd.org
and select "RSVP for a Meeting" at the top of the page.